View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
but simply bolting up to an existing flange just behind the front grill opening is a bit too "Semtex" for me (theoretically ).
I can't wait for his response

One can use larger and larger cores of either variety to achieve better oil cooling, at some tradeoff to radiator airflow and weight. There may be more space between the fins in the unit you're quoting, but it also covers a much larger surface area than the 19 row Setrab. Since our coolant temps seem to be reasonable, and anything that drops oil temp is also going to drop coolant temp, I think the bottom line is 'how much drop in oil temps in some standard scenario' vs 'weight added to front of car'. It would be nice to see a definitive analysis of this with various cores and mounting positions, but I don't think the oil cooler market for this car is big enough for anyone to go through the trouble.