View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #212 (permalink)
WarmAndSCSI
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '08 Evo X | '10 370Z
WarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricFrac View Post
..and saying that your rings are seated within a few seconds is just as much misinformation. Sure if you are cutting limbs off a tree with a chainsaw you can go through them in a few seconds but when you are wearing in rings which are very hard against your cylinder wall that are suppose to be resistant to wear you are going to "seat" in somewhat but definately not fully. You are basically machining materials which are resistant to wear and it doesn't take seconds. Show me ONE profesional racing team that races a car after a few seconds of break in.... not qualifying but a full race.

I agree with you that there is a lot of misinformation in this thread but going to the other extreme doesn't help.... there is enough exageration going on here. There are a hand full of motors that do suffer from oil consumption - just like any other manufacture.

For the record my oil consumption has significantly reduced in 15,000Km...
Any engine with plateau honed cylinder walls and pre-lapped piston rings - all of which have been properly cleaned before assembly - is essentially broken in the second you fire it up. As soon as the engine is flushed of whatever residual loose metal that was still present, it's ready to go. I can point you in the direction of hundreds of drag racing teams that break in their engines for the first time with full-out quarter mile passes. This is even the case for multi-thousand-horsepower top fuel engines. In fact, it's quite essential that such engines get run full-out very soon after they are fired up for the first time.

The wear-in items you have to be concerned about during break-in of a properly prepared race engine do not include the piston rings and cylinder walls. (think more of camshafts, oil pumps, and other machined parts that have high-load contact with other metal components which do not use bearings but only a hydrostatic layer of oil). You explained yourself how hard both of materials in the piston ring-to-cylinder wall interface are - it should be easy to understand why a few hundred or thousand miles of break in SHOULD NOT cause any kind of measurable wear on them when they're designed to last hundreds of thousands of miles

Engine break-in is predetermined by how an engine is assembled. Speaking of a modern OEM-built engine, you'll find they are built to not need any significant break-in period. I'll do a nice analysis of the next OEM shortblock I receive for a build... should be in a few weeks. I can guarantee you that the cylinder walls will be plateau honed and very clean, along with the piston rings being pre-lapped.

'10 PW 370Z 7AT - wife's car - Project Raspberry Cheesecake
'08 Evo X - built motor+trans | BB-X @ 32 psi | CH3OH | self-built+tuned - ??? WHP
'01 Galant V6 - built motor | GT35R | self-built+tuned - 550+ WHP (retired)
WarmAndSCSI is offline   Reply With Quote