View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #57 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
I'm wondering what the G37 guys had to say about the lack of low end punch, and I wonder by now if anyone has improved it.

My exhaust is arriving in a few weeks, and it'll be installed along with the HFCs. Hopefully that'll help a bit on the low end.

Overall, I think throttle response is quite conservative under 3k. I wonder if it has to do with fuel economy since this is the typical driving range?
Yes, I doubt I would be the first to suspect that the ECU's control of VVEL is helping with emissions and fuel economy in the low RPMs instead of delivering the maximum torque it's capable of. There's nothing wrong with this. If you're driving at ~3Krpm and under, all that torque would be doing for you is making you feel good, you're just daily driving. Real driving in the 370Z starts a hair over 4K RPM, where the engine really starts to stretch its legs for the first time.

The only real exception to all of the above is launching the car from a stop drag-race style. Doing that on a regular basis on the street is just abusive and pointless imho, and the car was never designed to be a drag-strip queen anyways. I'm still going to hit the local strip 1-2 more times just to see what kind of numbers I can get down to, but I don't plan on making it a habit.