View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
WarmAndSCSI
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '08 Evo X | '10 370Z
WarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to behold

Ugh, I couldn't agree more. I drove my inlaw's last-gen Land Cruiser for about 700 miles over the weekend and that thing is intolerable. Arguably a very well built SUV - it has a moderate curb weight, decent enough engine, wide *** tires, etc. It should handle and drive decently.

No.

1.) The steering - 8 turns lock-to-lock is not acceptable on any vehicle except a f*cking tugboat, Toyota! That terrible steering ratio made me miss the Z terribly.
2.) The weight and center of gravity - ugh... you think almost 300 bhp is a lot until you stick it in a 5000 lb SUV at 10,000 ft above sea level. Not to mention how the thing rolls into corners. I let my wife drive for part of the mountain passes and I almost threw up because of how this thing just barreled through each curve.
3.) The sheer lack of power - seriously, I've never driven such a slow vehicle. Not even our old 2005 Civic DX-VP. End of story.
edit: 4.) And the brakes. OMG it felt like trying to stop a train with a handbrake. Terrible, terrible brakes. Literally no braking feedback, and no initial bite because the power assist SUCKS.

Driving that relatively nice and well-powered SUV for a couple days truly made me realize how much of IDIOTS people who speed around in their Suburbans are. You literally have NO control in panic-type situations past a certain speed threshold (basically 50 mph in this beast), no matter how good of a driver you are.

'10 PW 370Z 7AT - wife's car - Project Raspberry Cheesecake
'08 Evo X - built motor+trans | BB-X @ 32 psi | CH3OH | self-built+tuned - ??? WHP
'01 Galant V6 - built motor | GT35R | self-built+tuned - 550+ WHP (retired)

Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 10-19-2010 at 11:00 AM.
WarmAndSCSI is offline   Reply With Quote