View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
esfourteen
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th TT
esfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to esfourteen
Default motordyne M370 mainfold installed and dyno tested

You guys want results, and I haven't had any coffee or food all day, so let's just cut right to it:

Install:
Takes about 1-2 hours, very simple, as expected.

The testing:

We did ONE baseline run before the install, which pretty much matched my previous runs when I got UpRev tuned at the same shop a few months back. We left the car on the dyno strapped down and installed the new manifold. We did 2 runs and then let the car cool down and did a final run, all runs we're datalogged using uprev to ensure things we're still in check. I've attached a dyno sheet comparing the baseline with the last run.

In the end, most people care about torque, and rightly so. There was a gain of about 8 peak tq, with similar gains throughout the midrange, but it just wasn't as good of results as Tony was seeing with the stock car he tested.

There was no average of 3 before or 3 after runs. I am not a shop owner and $125 in rebates for a dyno does not go a long way as I am sure most of you can imagine. I did call Tony after getting the results, and he offered to pay to have the stock manifold put back on and tested more, which was very cool but this was around 2:30 and they already had other cars to work on and I couldn't really stick around much longer.

With more runs and extensive testing, you might get better average #'s, but after seeing the car before and after, the loss of power/torque is there near redline, and it's not going to change with more pulls. Perhaps this is only apparent when mods/tuning are in the picture, I don't know as I am the only person with full bolt ons and uprev to have tested this thus far.

I emailed some raw numbers to Tony at motordyne so hopefully he can use that to get some average delta gains.

For those that care about the peak numbers: -9hp/+8tq

Driving impressions:
It's too early to tell much, I got to stretch its legs briefly and the low/midrange pull definitely felt good, better, nothing drastic but I did notice it.

I may have gotten the car up to about 120 (shush) in 4th near redline and the one thing I did notice was that it didn't feel like reaching the rev limiter. It felt more difficult to get it to redline, it just wasn't as easy as it was previously, 7300-7600 felt like it lasted a few seconds, where it should have been ready to go into 5th, that really surprised me, and kind of bothers me. Maybe it's not a big deal, you don't hang out around redline often, and you can just shift a bit earlier, but it still bothers me...

Would I buy it again:
I'm not 100% sure yet, the mid range numbers look good on paper, and seem noticeable but at $720 shipped its a hard pill to swallow to see such a large drop off in the last ~500 RPM's, which lets face it, we can visit often with this car, it was meant to be taken to redline. I need to do more butt dyno testing to really be sure.

Lastly, I would like to thank the guys over at Performance Motorsport, they new I was testing the motordyne manifold and worked out a deal with me so in the end (when I get the refund from Motordyne) I won't have paid for the dyno/install out of pocket, really great guys over there and they know their Nissans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (553.6 KB, 5181 views)
esfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote