View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #523 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeatherman View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that's when you're pounding on it though. When you're not, it's just not going to get that hot. It will protect it when you fly, and leave it run cool, as is, when cruising.
Are you saying you don't think they'd up the thermo temp given what you were told? We've seen pics of the Nismo core, it looks larger than Stillen's. A larger core with only a 180 thermo would easily keep the car at 200-212-ish and below in any reasonable kind of driving, and then when the daily driver does his limited spurts of performance driving, the temps would hardly have the chance to get up to more than say 230 before it was over. Even at the track, you'd have to do some pretty mean warmup to get up to 250+ for the ideal temps your Nissan guy was talking about.

To me this doesn't seem to add up with his statements about how banging on the engine with colder oil (what we consider normal, 180-220-ish, with spurts to 240 perhaps under hard conditions) is more detrimental than letting it run hot (250-280-ish).

So all I'm saying is, I expect the Nismo cooler option to have a thermo, and for that thermo to be set significantly higher than 180, for any of this to make sense. 220 would be reasonable, maybe 230-240 though given what he's saying.

My gut feeling is that their thermo, if any, will be at 180 and invalidate the guy, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by wstar; 05-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.