View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Forrest, personally I like mid/rear-engine designs (mid moreso than rear). When properly built, they tend to have a real handling advantage because it's easier to get a neutral weight balance, and you've got the heaviest part of the car (the engine) sitting much closer to the driving wheels, which lends them more grip.

The Cayman is a great car. If I could afford to buy (and insure, and trick out, etc...) a Cayman I probably would have taken it. The base sticker difference alone doesn't really tell the whole story though, and I'm not the kind of guy that can quite afford to be a Cayman enthusiast without making me financially uncomfortable over it. I think the magazine article was reasonably fair really. Where I differ with them is in the final analysis of the ratio of dollars to performance/fun. I think the Z really wins there, there's no way the Cayman really makes up for the extra total costs to anyone for whom that kind of money means anything.