View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #1926 (permalink)
tomnavone
Track Member

Drives: Supercharged 370z
tomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
Tom, have you ever had a tune that
has good driveability? I've seen your complaints about driveability and peak hp
with the newer tunes not delivering as well in the upper rev range. What I'm thinking is that if they have given you a tune that drives well, just stick with that, regardless of the peak hp number.

At 400 whp and 15% powertrain losses, you're making 470hp. That's stil 127 hp/liter. In the big scheme of things, this supercharger does work. At 127 hp/liter, that's like getting 635 hp put of a mustang or 787 hp out of a camaro. Basically, the only engines that are making the same power per displacement are cars with factory F/I and lowered compression ratios. Despite what their press release said, i don't expect them to squeeze this engine much tighter without something popping.

Since GTM was more optimistic in their press release, advertising 452.1 whp with their stage 1 kit at 8 psi boost, let's crunch their numbers: 462 whp with 15% drivetrain loss is 532 hp, or 143.75 hp/liter. That's a higher specific output than an F430 scuderia (118 hp/l), Lexus LFA (115 hp/l) or a ZR1 (102.9 hp/l). 530 hp is the same as the $190k GT2 with similar sized engine. Did they really expect to be in GT2 territory with an 11.0:1 engine and a supercharger?

My point is that your expectations are a little too high and if they can get you a tune that performs smoothly, you really are getting your money's worth.
Im not looking for a dyno queen. I would like to be in the same ballpark as the stillen supercharger and be drivable. Looking more for higher torque numbers oppose to higher hp. As for the tunes out of the seven tunes only one has been drivable. Thats the r6 tune. THats what im running now after r7 was just bad and undrivable. The r6 tune is great down low but once the boost comes on it just craps out. Im not sure how much more i should hold out after seven tunes and three months. Everyone that has the stillen tune is having problems with drivabilty and low hp and torque numbers. It seems stillen has given up trying to get a drivable tune so they have starting giving money back so the customer is able to get a custom thats close to stillens numbers and drivable. The only problem with the custom tune is 1) carb compliance 2) i bought the tuner kit for the warranty and for the carb sticker. They havent said they are going to extend the warranty for custom tune. Seems stillen has washed their hands trying to fix this problem and just has passed the buck for someone else to figure it out. I dont think im being unreasonable wanting my car be drivable along with getting close to the advertised numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I have to agree with Chris. It makes more since to get a custom tune than to tear all the gear out and replace it. You obviously don't need to hold out for a Stillen tune for Carb cert considering your other mods. If the tune is the only problem, a new tune will be much cheaper and has already been shown to work. I'm not sure if anyone else is thinking of offering an engine warranty or not, so that could be a deciding issue.
Its easier to remove the hfc if i get pulled over opposed to having to remove the supercharger because its not carb compliant with a custom tune. I would think the cop would look at the supercharger for a carb sticker instead of getting underneath the car looking for hfc