View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
WarmAndSCSI
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '08 Evo X | '10 370Z
WarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
ive read on the bmw/350z sites from people with tunes still having this problem so whats the deal?
A tune cannot solve the inherent delay with DBW. While datalogging on my Evo, I found there was always a delay between the ECU sending the signal to open the throttle plate, or at least acknowledging that it had sent the signal, and the throttle position sensor actually registering the change. A device like this that actually adaptively ramps the throttle opening rate based upon your initial "punch" is a good way to compensate for this lag.

I know people are saying a tune can accomplish the same thing, but it simply cannot without re-writing ECU code or compromising driveability. I've messed around with DBW throttle tables on the Evo X extensively - you really don't gain anything over the stock settings. In fact, it consistently makes the car drive worse if you mess with the throttle tables too much, especially on a quick-spooling turbocharged car.

That said, I'd need to play around with a Sprint Booster on my Evo to make any fair judgment. It may really not do anything more than playing around with the throttle tables - it depends on whether it's actually "intelligent" or adaptive in any way.

'10 PW 370Z 7AT - wife's car - Project Raspberry Cheesecake
'08 Evo X - built motor+trans | BB-X @ 32 psi | CH3OH | self-built+tuned - ??? WHP
'01 Galant V6 - built motor | GT35R | self-built+tuned - 550+ WHP (retired)