Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Had a near-miss last night. I downshifted to 2 to push the rear a bit before braking into a hard right 90 into a parking lot entrance (it's a fun technique, what do you call that? Power-assisted braking slide?). Conditions were wet, which I was calculating well for. What I failed to notice was that while the street and the parking lot were both made of wonderfully grippy flat pavement, there was about a 10 foot stretch of the parking lot entranceway that was paved with some stupid cobblestones (nice and slippery).

The car made the 90 attitude-wise of course thanks to the slide, but then kept on drifting sideways once the tires hit those evil cobblestones, and I missed slamming the side of the car into a curb and big stone centerpiece with the name of the shopping center on it by about 3-6 inches before it caught traction and started moving forward again. It probably would've been a light tap instead of a near miss if it weren't for VDC saving my *** on the slippery, uneven cobblestone surface.

So remember, VDC+Rain = good. Being an idiot and pushing the car like that heading into a parking lot = kinda silly and not worth it

And to whatever moron thought it was a very fashionable idea to put a section of slippery, uneven road surface right at parking lot entrance people will be cornering into, I hate you