View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

More good stuff axio I wanted to comment one little esoteric thing here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axio View Post
I've even heard their Pittsburg line of wrenches and sockets are actually pretty decent, but I can only comment on their black chrome vanadium impact sockets. Those are actually quite decent and I use them for the 1/2" drive sockets
There's actually a difference in the type of metal used in the black impact sockets versus the normal chrome-looking ones you use with hand tools. The chrome-looking hand-tool sockets are made from a very hard metal that's good at resisting slow deformation when you pry on them hard, but they are "brittle" and can easily shatter from impact loads if you use them with an impact wrench. Conversely, the black ones for impact wrenches are made thicker out of a softer alloy. They resist shattering from impacts, but are easier to tear up when using them as hand tools (you'll see the inside edges deform slowly over time from hand-use). Ideally you only want to use the right type of socket for each situation.