View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #247 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig11 View Post
What's the NASCAR way? I haven't watched since I was a kid. :P
The safety car collects the field, then as soon as the field has caught up to the safety car the pits will open. Pits are only open to lead lap cars first time around. Second time around they are open to the lapped cars. Then you've got another lap before the restart. Obviously the flags can take longer depending on how much cleanup is required.

Also, lapped cars can choose to forgo pitting under yellow and take a wave around, where they effectively get one of their laps back and start at the tail end of the field. The problem is they aren't allowed to pit under the yellow if they choose this option, so if they are in need of fuel/tires they have to pit after the race goes back green. They only choose this option if they're at a track large enough to where they won't go a lap down if they make a green flag stop.

Bottom line is they do a very good job of keeping the field under control and keeping the lapped cars out of the way of the leaders on restarts. It's about as fair as a system as you can get!

F1 obviously is a little different but they can adopt a similar system to ensure that SC periods are fair and orderly.

I think they also need to fix the restart points. The leader shouldn't be able to take off as soon as the SC pulls off... there should be a designated restart line a few hundred meters before the start/finish line and a flag man (or start light system... whatever) should control the restart. Basically, you can't accelerate BEFORE the restart line, and the restart signal will be given at some point within the 50 meters or so after the restart line is crossed by the leader.

Talk about excitement headed into turn 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig11
Goddamn right. <3 Barrichello. I've been a big fan of him since back when he was giving up the lead for Shumi.
I was very glad to see him win a few last year in the Brawn. His last victories of his career I'm sure.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote