View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
TamZ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Mercedes GL 350
TamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really nice
Default Another Vegas Run and Oil Temps scared me

Made another run to Vegas, this time with my 14 year old daughter in tow.. A special trip to take her to see Justin Bieber in concert. Oh, joy! (NOT!)

It was 114-121 degrees on my drive through Baker area (at least that is what the temp gauge said) and I watched the oil temps climb up higher than I've ever seen them. I couldn't remember what I'd read on here about the proper oil temps and I even tried to get to the forum on my phone, but got frustrated with trying to search on my small phone..lol..so I called Nissan. I don't think I've ever seen the oil temp gauge go over 220 ever but it was at 260 when I was driving to Vegas and I wasn't going that fast (cruising about 75ish most of the way). Since it was just my daughter and I, out in the middle of nowhere, I decided to pull over and called my Nissan dealer (first guy I talked to in service wasn't familiar with the car, so he had to go ask another technician) and they said that "those #'s didn't freak them out." but I sat there for awhile and let it cool down and then went on again. It eventually crawled back down to 190 after we got going downhill across state line but then crawled back up again.

I've tried searching on this forum about what my oil temps should be or what would be considered "high", I can't find it (or I'm an idiot at using search). My husband said Nissan should have been able to tell me but the guy just didn't seem very helpful over the phone. I had just never seen the gauge go that high.

I know I've read on here about the oil temp issues but always just assumed that was on the track. Would just normal driving in extreme heat also cause high temps? And maybe 260 isn't high? I don't know..the gauge only goes to 300 so I was getting worried!

P.S. Please feel free to move this if I'm putting my question in the wrong area, AK.