Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
Hmmm, off to look for Nissan's CAN protocol. The guys at UpRev figured it out, I wonder how. Do you have more info on it?
Well CAN is an industry standard of some kind (Car Area Network), but apparently mfgs have their own proprietary extensions or something of that sort. I don't know all the details, I never looked at all of this in depth. But apparently, being able to use CAN and/or mfg-specific protocols or extensions is what allows units like the Magden one to read data at high update rates. Baseline OBD-II communications only send updates at 3Hz intervals (3 updates per second), and that's assuming you're only monitoring a single value. With 5+ values being read to feed your digital gauges, basic OBD-II would be too slow to be useful for some gauges.