View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
I wonder if there isn't a less dramatic way to keep the oil cool. Here's my point: Nissan has done everything they can to obscure everything mechanical from view under the hood. (I mean, the battery's concealed? The brake reservoir is concealed? Why was that necessary?) There are more extraneous covers under the hood than there are moving parts! The result is that you can't get much airflow around the engine.

It seems to me that a thoughtful elimination of "beauty covers" under the hood would both save weight AND make the engine run cooler. Has anyone done this?
I removed the engine cover, because it's clearly all beauty and traps heat. However, for now I've left the others (batt/brake). I just haven't had time to really analyze the situation with them. They're part of how Nissan has insulated the upper engine bay when the hood is down, I guess to keep dirt/rain out, and to keep hot air from blowing out over the windshield too much and fogging things up? I don't know. I want to remove them, but I guess I need to go stare at the situation more before I do.

But in any case, they're not going to make enough difference to solve this problem with oil temps.