View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
WarmAndSCSI
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '08 Evo X | '10 370Z
WarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinPark View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread - I think it would be great if something as meaningful as a well done DIY helped stop another tragedy like this. I went through the Owner's Manual today and all I found was simple documentation on changing out a single tire. There was very little reference to chocks at all which I find a bit scary.

I have to put my car up on 4 stands in the next few weeks to change the oil. If someone can help step me through the proper way to do this, I would be more than willing to document what I do and then post up a thread for all interested. I already have the jack and 4 stands - I just need to know the best way to do this so I can write it all up. Would someone like to contact me via PM and get going on this?
Having a car up on 4 stands is generally safe so long as you have good, well-designed jack stands. I have some monster SUV/truck jack stands I use to do transmission swaps and the like. They're practically huge chunks of steel. The danger is usually when you only have half the car up in the air or when it's otherwise jacked up at an angle.

Just give the jackstands a good shove and the car as well to make sure everything is "settled." Keep your floorjack under a decent jacking point on the side of the car you'll be working on.

The tire trick is useful as well. Definitely a good failsafe and if they do end up being useful, you won't really care that they were damaged.

'10 PW 370Z 7AT - wife's car - Project Raspberry Cheesecake
'08 Evo X - built motor+trans | BB-X @ 32 psi | CH3OH | self-built+tuned - ??? WHP
'01 Galant V6 - built motor | GT35R | self-built+tuned - 550+ WHP (retired)
WarmAndSCSI is offline   Reply With Quote