View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
DannyGT
Track Member

Drives: 370Z (SOLD)
DannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I know the sound you're talking about, I've had it off and on and puzzled over whether it's normal or not (but probably not as bad as yours, at least I *have* gaskets in place).

The stock copper gaskets from the original manifold<->cat interface should work on your new setup, if you wanted to use those at least temporarily.

I'm going to replace all of my gaskets soon (well, except header<->engine, because it's a bitch, I think they're fine, and they were never re-loosened after initial install). I know at least one is leaking from all the times it was messed with trying to get the fitment right (loosen, adjust flanges, retighten, a few times over the course of a week), so I don't trust any of them now since they were all abused. So now that I know the metal all sits right (fixed via torch as above), I just need to swap out the gaskets again throughout.

Hopefully that will clear up the ugly parts of my exhaust sound, and then I'll do another video.
But the top of the stock downpipe (triangle flange) did not have a gasket. It had an O-Ring type of adapter around the center of the pipe that portruded out from inside creating a lip of sort to stick into the end of the headers...Not sure if I am describing it correctly.

Anyway, I should have some time tomorrow if not, 100% on saturday to get this all sorted out. Will update everyone...