View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticreaver View Post
i don't know, to me, owning a gun or guns doesn't scream freedom to me.
Owning a gun doesn't scream freedom, you're right. But a government founded on principles of freedom, which at its founding established a freedom to own firearms, trying to pass laws to disarm its citizens, screams the opposite.

Quote:
my friend on facebook recently posted a "someone go to the shooting range with me" others responded, why do you need someone to go, his response, "it's the policy, so people don't kill themselves" i found that extremely laughable because how would 2 people make a different if one had a gun.
I've been to lots of shooting ranges around the country, and I've never heard of a two person rule. People go to gun ranges solo regularly, myself included. Deaths at gun ranges are insanely rare.

Quote:
also, regarding illogical thinkings, Ad Populum aka the fallacy Appeal to Popularity

example -

1 - Most people approve of X (have favorable emotions towards X).
2 - Therefore X is true.

and just because other countries are more lenient by stating the facts something like "everyone over at xxx countries has a gun" does not make a logical reason that to own a gun is a good or even a right choice.
Don't even get me started on logical fallacies

You're right that popularity doesn't make something logically correct. I don't see where this has been used on either side of the argument so far in this thread, though.