View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR32 View Post
i'd hesitate to look at a picture of the crank pulley to decide if it is a harmonic damper.

the presence of elastomer or rubber on the pulley does not necessarily mean that it is required for torsional damping. it is common to have such on the crank pulley just for n/v/h.

to be a torsional damper, the pulley would have to have two rings whose movements are somehow isolated from each other, either by material or by springs. another format could be a viscous fluid in a circumferential cavity within the pulley.

stillen has looked at the pulley, and has said the configuration is not that of a damper. if there is doubt as to his expertise, then the only thing to do is to take one off and examine it in cross section.
Well, I've got my stock pulley sitting in my garage off the car, but I don't think I'm willing to slice it just to settle this. It's actually hard for me to tell the exact composition of the pulley and damper from the outside. There's definitely a very stiff rubber ring on the outer backside of the pulley, but it's molded right onto it in a seamless fashion, so it's kinda hard to tell where metal starts or rubber ends without, again, destructively investigating it.