View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZDreamer View Post
All internal zero balance engines still need a harmonic dampener. You still have harmonics in any reciprocating assembly. The pictures I have seen of the factory crank pulley show it has an inertia ring, so it is a dampener like its supposed to be.

I would never replace the crank pulley on my car with a pulley not built as a dampener.
Can you elaborate on the above? The service manual doesn't really go into this sort of detail, although it does call the ring a "damper", when it says "Never put suitable puller tab on crankshaft pulley periphery, because this damages internal damper." (by which they mean, attach the puller to the insides of the pulley, not the outsides).

Wikipedia has this to say, although I wouldn't consider them very authoritative on the subject: Harmonic balancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Have people actually seen crankshaft failure from this sort of thing?

Last edited by wstar; 04-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote