View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
WarmAndSCSI
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '08 Evo X | '10 370Z
WarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to beholdWarmAndSCSI is a splendid one to behold

Anyway, I'm tired of this dumb argument; I'll end it now. Hyundai is WAY behind the curve of producing a good sports car. 40+ years behind Nissan's curve. I would NEVER consider a Hyundai over a Nissan Z because of that. Nissan will always be ahead; plain and simple. You can't make up for 40 years of research, design, and motorsports experience. I absolutely love Mitsubishi cars, and if they came out with a new 2 door sports coupe I would consider it. Why? Because they would at least know what they're doing when it comes to building a track-ready sports car. They have a long history of doing so, even if it's been a long time since they produced a RWD sports car.

You can argue that I'd also say that a company on Koenigsegg has nothing on, say, Ferrari. But that's not true. Koenigsegg, (the new) Bugatti, Gumpert, Ascari etc. all have something to Ferrari that Hyundai does not have to Nissan. TONS and tons of money and time into R&D, and a true feeling of irrationality and soul about their cars. That's what a sports car is about. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe lacks that extreme level of R&D, and it even lacks the true intent to be tracked. The mere fact that it's marketed as having an extreme value for the money (read: is a cheap POS) shows that it's not a properly R&D'd sports car. It's honestly just been thrown together such that it sells well. We may have issues where Nissan cheaped out on an oil cooler, but the Hyundai Genesis Coupe wasn't even ready for road/track testing when it hit the states; it had severe performance issues until Hyundai sat back down at the drawing board to fix some alignment issues and ECU parameters. Those are two very core items that should have been flogged to death and discovered during internal testing @ Hyundai. That just goes to show how poorly the car was engineered from the start. It was built for nothing more than to look good on a spec sheet.