View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialgemini View Post
Correct me if i'm mistaken... I see that you're located in texas, but don't they have aerial units that catch speeders on the more open highways via photograph?
Around Houston there are aerial units, and they can use them to catch traffic violations. But by the letter of the law, the chopper pilot can't observe the crime (radar the car), then send the info to a ground unit to write the ticket. Either the pilot has to land and write it himself (never happens), or he can radio a ground unit to go independently observe, radar, and ticket you. Writing a speeding ticket from the air based on radar/photo and mailing it to you (what I've heard has happened in other states) isn't technically legal here either.

I've never seen any kind of traffic choppers on the open highways in TX. There's a lot of miles of wide-open highway without a town for miles here, it wouldn't be practical.

This falls into the same legal quagmire as red light cameras in TX. Technically, they can't do red light cameras, because there's not an officer directly involved witnessing the crime and signing the ticket himself. Houston (and other municipalities) have installed them anyways though. They're skirting the law by making the red-light tickets civil offenses as opposed to the Class C misdemeanor ticket you'd get if a cop wrote a red-light ticket in person. There's been a lot of court battle over this issue in the past few years, so it's far from settled in the long run.