Thread: oil temp
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfleming2226 View Post
I see you noted 250, at what temp are you doing damage to your engine ? and is there harm in running a high temp of 220 for a prolonged period? Thanks
My recommendation is as follows:

Drive fairly easy until oil is at least 160*F -- ideally closer to 180*F, after that you can romp on it.

Driving around at sustainted temps between 200* and 225* is normal and perfectly safe.

Some power (a few whp) will be lost over 230*F, although it will still be safe.

If you are seeing temps regularly over 240*F, you aren't hurting the engine per se, but you are definitely losing power, hence my recommendation to see about a cooler.

A few dynos on here suggest 195* - 200* makes best power on the VQ37 -- this suggests that an oil cooler with a thermostat rated right around 200* - 210* would probably be ideal in summer and winter (the 180* F temp oil coolers seem to run too cold in the winter).

Bearing failure is a real possiblity under severe load (i.e., racing) at sustained oil temps greater than 260*F (which is why I said if it goes over 250* to let it cool down), although for short periods, oil temps that high will probably be fine provided a high quality synthetic with good shear properties is used.

In fact, for a well built motor with a really good oiling system (such as a dry sump), temps approaching 280* - 325+*F will probably be fine, at least for short bursts.

However, Nissan clearly feared some shortened engine life there (280*+), so this is probably about when the ECU commands the "limp mode" to reduce power output.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Jordo!; 06-17-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote