Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzZz View Post
I was going to go with Purolator PureOne for the filter but I've read somewhere that although OEM might have worse filter material, its spec'd as the engine was designed for (maintaing a certain level of oil pressure mainly). So you might want to go with OEM for now until there's more research done.

I know for Mobil1 some people will go with a different filter than what Mobil lists because of bigger/better filter and materials but the specs aren't in line with the original design. I haven't come across a filter which matches OEM specs with better filter media but if anyone on this board knows or is more knowledgeable on the subject, please chime in.
Hopefully the filter isn't what's maintaining the correct oil pressure for the engine. All good filters have bypass valves in case they get clogged, and our oil pump has a regulator to prevent overpressure.