View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #83 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a good manual driver, and I went with Auto on my 370Z. It's been great. I still flip back and forth all the time (my older Trans-Am is a 6 speed, and I still drive it too (mostly to pick up missing tools or parts while the Z is up on jack stands getting some work done)). Sure with the 6 speed I have more direct control, but the Z's auto is really well done. It's really nice if you're busy, on the phone, stuck in crawling traffic, etc, to just be able to put the car in D and not worry about it.

As for any real driving (high-speed cornering, etc) in the power-band of the engine, the auto is a pretty fast shifter, and makes smoother engagements than I ever could in a manual. One less thing for my brain to focus on means I can spend more time watching my speed, my line, the curb, other drivers, etc.