View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #87 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Akebonos not up to heavy track use!

I have. I was using
-Valvoline synthetic fluid at the time, (which I successfully used on my 350Z and my C6 for the last 5 years of track usage).
-Hawk HP+ pads up front (highly recommend against them on this car)
-Stock rear pads

Boiled fluid, wore the rear pads to backing plates and scored the rear rotors and halfway wore the front pads down in one 20 minute session.

Once I switched to HP+ all around, I still had the boiling problem on the same track, but a little farther into the sessions.

When these brakes boil the fluid, you might get a tiny hint of a soft pedal at the first turn, but by the next, they are pretty much gone. Its really sudden and scary when it happens.

I haven't had the problem running Brembo GT calipers up front now and Carbotech XP-12/XP-10 pads with Motul fluid. I think the added mass of the GT caliper helps, but we really do need additional cooling.
I wouldn't consider HP+'s track pads, but that's me. Actually, the mere fact that you were only running HP+ front, and stock rear kinda scares me dude lol.

I fall into this category also. I ran:

MOTUL RBF600 fluid (what DOT fluid was that, that you ran anyway?)
Carbotech XP10 front/XP8 rear
Stock brake lines - didnt touch them.

Nothing else.

I had 0 problems. My brakes felt fantastic all of my sessions. My fluid never boiled. Now, while I'm still fairly newb-ish, I certainly wasn't THAT easy on the brakes.

Last edited by MightyBobo; 05-04-2010 at 09:58 PM.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote