View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Megan370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
Megan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY , Stillen Header with Berk HFC

I finally received my Berk HFC sometime ago and I was waiting for this weekend to actually do the job since I have a 4 days week-end .

This is a real DIY that could be done by anyone that never done something like this , but be prepare , its very very time consuming ,,, did I said very ?

Right now I have about 7 hours and around 50% done ,that include getting the car jacked on 4 stand in my driveway , some beers , some break and lunch time !

here we go !

I love challenge so I started on the driver side right away !
I suggest you to remove the stock CAI and unclip the cable that goes to the starter that come from the left to the right in front of the engine .. it will give you just a bit more space to play with ...

no pic for this but ,
Remove the steering coupler from the
steering shaft. Note: make sure the steering shaft
does not turn when disconnected. If shaft is turned
360 degrees VDC/ traction control will not operate
properly.

get those heat shield ! actually you will not be able to remove the heat shield , you will have to let it there and just place it somewhere in there , then get the lower heat shield , you will have to look around under the car where to see them and use a ratchet wrench !

unplug the sensor from the header that is in the back under some tubbing *it was quite hard to get to it till I go under the car and see where the cable is clipped to the rear of the engine ... unclip the cable , that will give you about 1 more inch of free play to get the plug out !

-I do not have picture for the next time but its quite easy ,
just unbolt the OEM Cats on both side and remove their sensor , leave the Cats on the Y-pipe, that will somewhat hold the header/HFC in place when you get the header bolts off .

those are the tools I used to remove the header bolt
note the ratchet wrench , it will save you some time ! and there is another weir angled wrench , it helped me to break-off one of the header bolt.

the first easy bolt

another easy bolt , with the ratchet wrench

who said there wasn't any place to work on the driver side ?
see my arm does go to it .... hehe joking... its was a pain in the ***

the last bolt from under the car

when done ,
you can remove the OEM Cat from the Y-pipe then get them both off !

wrapping time

tomorrow is another day !
more to follow !

Last edited by Megan370z; 04-02-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Megan370z is offline   Reply With Quote