View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
tjlazer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z34, R35
tjlazer is just really nicetjlazer is just really nicetjlazer is just really nicetjlazer is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to tjlazer Send a message via MSN to tjlazer Send a message via Yahoo to tjlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudafunk View Post
Are there any brand names to choose from between conventional vs synthetic?
Any links to the rest of the smaller items needed?
Nissan recommends ester based oil. I hear Redline synthetic is ester based. Not sure of what other brands? As long as you use the proper oil at 3,000 miles you are fine. I just put in Penzoil 5W30 in mine at 2,500 miles. Going with Redline next oil change!

Quote:
Also, I kept reading there's some extra labor involved in opening up some covering on the hood to reach the area where you do the oil change - my guy across my office hasn't worked on 370's before I'd think, but I don't want to embarrass him either, is this something extra hard, should I get him some instructions or is it trivial enough for an established mechanic to figure out on the fly?
There is an under engine splash shield that some say you have to remove to do the oil change. Its like 15+ bolts. Nonsense. There are 4 bolts toward the rear of the car and the shield has a FLAP that you move down to get access to the oil filer and drain plug. Just have him remove the FOUR bolts towards the rear and he will figure it out just fine...

See this post:
DIY: Nissan 370Z Oil change (AK370Z way) Pictures inside

NOTE: On the first oil change, the filter is on really tight. Some have mangled it trying to remove it. It's a PITA. Your mechanic won't have a problem though.

Last edited by tjlazer; 03-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
tjlazer is offline   Reply With Quote