View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #255 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

I am a firm promoter of custom tuning. Each car is different and has its own set of quirks, therefore it should be tuned specifically for those differences. That is only true to a certain extent though because shelf-tunes (non-custom) have been getting better and better over time due to the adjustability of the software and increased consistency from one car to the next. You may be able to squeeze a few more horses out of the tune by going custom, but that will almost surely also mean that you are pushing the tune a bit more and making it less safe.

Stillen (or any tuner for that matter) can't have cars blowing up everywhere so I'm sure they are leaving a good margin of safety that they feel comfortable with. Specially with the tunes that are warrantied. People should not be worried about the safety of their engine unless they are modifying the kit or the tune or have a setup that is not suitable to running the SC.

Although I could very easily custom tune the car after I get the kit from Stillen, I am not going to do it. I think their tune is going to come at least 95% of the way there and that is acceptable to me when considering how much of a safety net I need in this climate.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote