View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpd4816 View Post
Well, I've rode in my friends vette and I feel that it is overrated. And about it being in another "league".... Ahhh, its definetely in a different "price range". Its a 6.2 liter engine with 415 hp. Our engine is a 3.7 liter as you all know. Real close to being twice the cubic inches but only 20% more power? Not impressive numbers to me. Its a nice car but not worth $55,000 in my opinion. And about whether or not the vette I drove up beside was completely in it or not..... Who half throttles their car when they are trying to show out per say? Anything is possible I suppose...

A lot of sports car owners half *** the throttle when "racing" because they aren't used to speed. There are a huge amount of sports car owners who could give a rats *** about power but own the car due to the prestige of it. So it is highly possible the Vette you ran wasn't putting it down all the way. In fact I know for sure he wasn't being that he didn't pull away from you. I've also raced a Vette going from Vegas to California in my 370z. We did 3 runs all starting from about 80mph up to 130-140. Every time he pulled on me pretty easily. It's simple numbers. It's one thing to say you didn't get beat by the Vette, it's another thing to be naive to the fact that the Vette is a superior performance car and the driver probably wasn't pushing the car to it's limits

Also to correct your multiple posts on this subject the current Vette has 430hp and if you opted for the Z06 exhaust upgrade (which most dealers have already put on their Vettes) it increases that number to 436. So we are talking about 104hp more than our Z's. Say what you want but the Vette is probably the best bang for the buck sports car around right now when you compare dollar for performance.

Oh, and your statements about displacement vs. power made and why Chevy can't get more out of the 6.3. You realize the Z06 makes 505hp right? The regular Vette is detuned down to 430hp.
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote