View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will exhaust work require ECU work to avoid knock?

I've got HFCs (Berk) and Headers (Stillen, ceramic) inbound, planning to install those first. Wasn't planning to get the ECU tuned until after I'm done with all the bolt-ons (cat-back and intake, depending on how those shake out - still waiting for more reviews and dynos on those).

I'm concerned about whether I'll be leaning it out too much during this interim period (HFC+Headers installed, but no other bolt-ons or ECU tuneup) and causing knock. Will the stock ECU adapt fine to it? (it will get its learning reset while the neg battery cable is off for the header install anyways) Should I run an octane additive in the interim to be safer (or would the stock ECU just compensate for that anyways)? Should I just keep from putting the engine under much stress until I get to the ECU?

Obviously, I'll want a dyno tune when I'm done, I'm just worried about knock and/or damage of any kind in the interim, as it may be a few weeks.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote