View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #117 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
You two (RCZ and Bobo) are making the mistake. You are comparing the VQ37 to the VQ35 and still assuming that they are similar enough to draw conclusions. THEY AREN'T. The whole basis of my argument is that the aren't. And you can spout off all you want about 4gs, and 2JZs and LSwhatevers I don't care. Do any of those motors have VVEL? Nope!
No, they don't have VVEL...they have turbos and a lot more displacement. VVEL doesn't stand for "magical power" either.

Quote:
The question of how much power can be made is a little flawed as well. A significant portion of the power to be made comes from freeing up restrictions that Nissan built in (purposefully of incidentally). I'm sure in it's final years the G37/370Z will probably be advertised with 350HP or more. Nissan of course engineered in room to grow with 3.7L. In these early stages we figure out where the room is and milk it for all it's worth. For all we know this motor could be capable of 425HP NA and it's been down-rated to 332 for the whole "room to grow" philosophy. We just don't know.

Quote:
You can also talk about mustang dyno vs others but that's a stupid way to claim that the mods didn't make power.

At 332 Crank Horsepower:
270RWHP DynoJet = 19% Drivetrain Loss
Est. 250RWHP Mustang = 25% Drivetrain Loss

Did the Crank HP change? I doubt it, since the engine must be within 5% of the marketed HP value. So lets add some mods...

We'll just use an arbitrary number like 400 Crank Hp (about where I estimate the mods I listed would put the 3.7L)

Dynojet 19% Loss = 324RWHP
Mustang 25% Loss = 300RWHP

So the mustang reads less, it doesn't change the power output one bit. Admittedly these numbers are abstract but the point is valid regardless of the numbers you plug in.
No one said it makes a difference. The truth lies in the % gain over stock, not in the numbers. You are arguing for a 30-35% gain that is realized through "freeing up" 75RWHP (Down from your 90RWHP at least) from restrictive exhaust and intake systems.

Quote:
The original question was can you make 400HP NA? If you are looking for RWHP probably not (not to say it couldn't be done, it's just a hard claim to defend). If you are willing to accept that 324RWHP on a given dyno = 400 Crank HP then yeah you can probably get there with bolt ons and most importantly tunning (especially VVEL tunning).
A claim you were defending before. Lets stop talking about theory, use my experience. I dynoed in at 256WHP on a Mustang. That is a 23% loss from 332BHP. In order to have 400BHP, I would have to have 308WHP. That is 52RWHP more than I started with. As a percentage that is a 20.3% power increase from stock. Now, while that is MUCH more decent than the claim you made before, which was 35% increase, it is still pushing the boundaries of what is possible IMO. I think that you are closer to reality now though that you cut your expectations by almost half...I mean, I don't want to say I told you so, but...I kinda told you so. I think with every bolt on and tuning, it is possible to pick up around 45WHP... thats not quite 400BHP, but it is close...

Quote:
P.S. It wasn't that you "called me out" that I have a problem with. I can listen to alternative opinions without taking it personally. That's called being objective (you should try it sometime). It was, however, the rude, diminutive, abrasive, and disrespectful manner in which you called me out that I guarantee wouldn't happen twice if you were looking me in the eye (although, I highly doubt it would even happen once).
I know this comment inst so much for me, however, I have no problems with anyone until they start questioning how much I know or don't know without much tact. If you want to argue a point, argue away, but be prepared and knowledgeable enough to cover all the angles. When you have a higher degree of certainty and proof to back it all up, arguments like this one can't turn into pissing contests. They go to hell in a hand basket when the "my boy did this and that's" start flying.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote