View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #835 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
Kyle - no offense meant, but I am not certain why dyno numbers can be posted but not the PSI which netted such numbers? The only option I have is to believe that it is a pretty high poundage which would be detrimental to the longevity of the stock motor? Knowing what I do about the Vortech blowers, I honestly can't imagine that it was under 10psi.

The GTM vs. Stillen torque curves is easily explained. Both are centrifugal blowers which are, in essence, like turbo chargers. The smaller the charger, the more torque it will create down low due to the reaching of full spool in the lower RPM range. GTM's rotrex is pushing more air at lower RPM due to its size. Conversely, the Stillen (Vortech) blower is taking longer to reach full spool due to it being fairly large. This easily explains its lower torque below the curve.
You can do it with less than 10psi.

You are getting mixed up with spooling time vs. size of a turbo charger when looking at that graph. A sc's size has nothing to do with when it spools, it is mechanically driven, so what you want to talk about is power delivery and the ramp effect of the gearing within the scharger.

Easily explains it? The similarities with a turbo is in the way power is delivered. Since it is a compressor wheel, it will compress more air the faster it spins, like a turbo would as it spools up. That's about where the similarities end though because there is no hotside wheel that needs to be spun and spooled by exhaust gas...There is no lag, there is only RPM/Size/Gearing/wheel design.

Last edited by RCZ; 03-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote