View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #103 (permalink)
a370zlover
Base Member

Drives: '09 Nissan 370Z 6MT
a370zlover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Z View Post
Hi,
I've sucessfuly finished the flashing brake light mod.

Some info:

- Red = Tail (Yes, confirmed by me)
- Green = Brakes (Yes, confirmed by me)
- Orange = Reverse (Yes, confirmed by Simota1)
- White = Turn signals (?)
- Black = Ground (You will also find a ground bolt not far from the tail light inside the trunk)

You need to tap into the tail lights (see color chart above), install a flashing module and manage to install a socket that supports a dual wire bulb (7443). The 7443 socket does not fit exactly as for the original 7440 socket (sigle wire) so you need to make some adjustments in order for it to become waterproof. In my case, I used an additional rubber ring and fixed it in place with a tie-rap.

On thing though, the flashing module from flashingbrakelights.com behaves in a strange way on my setup. If the car is not started, it will flash and reset after 8 sec (normal behaviour). If the car is running, it wil not completely reset until you haven't touched the brakes for about 45sec. Very strange and I can't explain it! After 15 sec, it will flash once or twice. After 30 sec, it will flash 3-4 times. After 45 sec it will flash 4 or 5 times. I have tested it with LED and regular bulbs... the same. So if you have an idea why, I would like to hear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAl4dHQWE6M
Mr_Z,

I joined this site just so I could ask you a few questions so I'm new to this forum business, haha. I had this same idea to do with my 370Z with the flashing and everything so I looked for how to do it and found this forum (yesss) so I want to do mine just like yours.

Ok so you must have bought the "Blinking Smart Stop Third Brake Light Module W/Delay" from flashingbrakelights.com like you said correct? Now, I'm no electrician, so I'm gonna have my bro-in-law help me with the install, but I want to try and understand what's going on... So you take that flashing module and tap it to the tail lights before that connection makes it to the new third tail/brake light. Seems like I'd have to tap the module to the brake lights and run it to one filament of the 7443 and then tap the tail lights to the other filament of the 7443, or is it just one wire to worry about? What I'm asking is... is the 7443 smart enough to do the tail light and brake light flashing with it's double filament as long as I have the flashing module and tap into JUST the tail light as you explain?

I just wanna do it right the first time so forgive me for the ignorance in my electrical understanding, haha... I'm actually not doing so hot in my electrical class right now as a matter of fact. Anyways, any help and tips would be appreciated, thanks for all the info. thus far.
a370zlover is offline   Reply With Quote