View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #65 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
Wait, are you telling me that I am abusing my car? Seriously? Thanks for the newsflash.

I'm not wondering "if it's the transmission's fault." Obviously my use of the car far exceeds anything any of its constituent components were realistically designed to do. Rather, I was asking phunk what his thoughts were on why his transmission has functioned so well for so long, considering it too has seen abuse.

Like him, I'm talking about full throttle shifting. I use the clutch, I just don't lift off the throttle(except for 1>2). I also have an aftermarket clutch, and a lightweight flywheel, but I'm making half his power(~265whp).

Somewhat on topic - there's a fascinating thread over on the "other site" where the 6mt was torn apart and the internals analyzed. It's no longer a sticky, as it's over three years old now, but if you're interested, it was started by a guy named BriGuyMax. It has picture of the actual individual gears - interesting reading. In fact, phunk posted in that thread.
What kind of clutch is it? Maybe if its a grabbier clutch the shock is putting more stress on the parts..

Different transmissions behave differently and will degrade differently even if put through the same abuse. You know there are minute cracks and imperfections in the pieces from the factory and many more are created over time. Its a matter of putting enough stress on them and parts start to fail. There are an infinite number of factors that could have lead to your issues, an infinite number of different situations. I think its a long shot that you could find a realistic answer to why your tranny broke in 5 years, not in 6.

But, go on.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote