View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
370Z944
Base Member

Drives: 370zNismo/944 turbo
370Z944 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
Where did you get the idea that the VR38 heads would fit on a VQ37 and be better. The VR38 block is the valuable part. Not sure what you have been reading or have been told. That's a No go though.
Well, this is one of those situations where I'm not entirely sure... yet. Part of why I brought it up. Now that the 944 is finally getting put back together I can start focusing on my Z. Not many have done this yet(if any), and I haven't taken one apart yet to find out. Based on what I'm seeing so far tho, the VQ and VR are the same block. Cast from the same molds. The difference is that they 'dress up' the VR block. Why buy a whole long block? I can just build up my vq bottom end myself, to my specs. Liners, close the deck, longer stroke, lower compression, forged rods. As long as the coolant passages line up it's gravy. They should. The main difference between the engines bottom ends is that the VR is built for boost, and a slightly longer stroke. Also why slapping on aftermarket turbos onto a high compression stock bottom end is not a good idea, and in 20 years will be worthless. Why use the VR heads? "Bett
er"? Whether the vq heads are better is subjective. They're not built for boost, and I'm pretty sure they wont line up with the GTR intake and plumbing. I could be wrong tho. I havent sunk my teeth into all the fine details, yet. I'm certainly not seeing how it's a "no go" though. Unless you got schematics proving otherwise.

They also share the same core chassis FWIW. If any nissans were truly bespoke, they'd be priced with ferraris, bugatti, pagani, etc. The FM platform is what all the rwd nissans share. Some chassis get sent down the line to be dressed up as altimas.. Some get sent over to the nismo plant and dressed up as sports cars with a vq or vr...

Also, in 20 years it will be nice to have as many matching numbers as possible when a concourse judge takes a long gander at it. lol
370Z944 is offline   Reply With Quote