View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Averying
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370Z, '03 G35
Averying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond reputeAverying has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil pressure is higher after oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicVQ View Post
You may want to move your pressure gauge to the 1/8 BSP port on the engine block.

The engine oil pressure inside the engine = 35psi - (oil cooler & lines pressure drop) - (oil filter pressure drop)

If my engine is "normal" it seems like your oil pump needs an extra 10-15 psi to push the oil through your oil cooler and filter @ 180F

With that in mind, if your actual engine oil pressure is 10 psi due to a failing galley gasket, your gauge might show 20-25 PSI, which hides the problem and may result in a spun bearing / new engine... and no one wants that!

I do plan to eventually relocate the sensor to tee off the oil return line to the block. But for now I’m not concerned that it’s giving me a false reading. Pressure drop in the filter should be 1-2 psi and in the cooler probably about the same at idle. Therefore I think anything over 30 for a pressure reading is totally normal.

But to your point… reading pressure after the cooler and filter would giving me the reading that really matters… what’s going into the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Sport Touring | Platinum Graphite | GTM Stage 1 Supercharger | BC BR Coilovers | Hotchkis Swaybar | Z1 FUCAs | AME TM-02 Wheels | Z1 2-piece Front Rotors | Z1 Clutch & Flywheel | Invidia Gemini Catback | GTM Resonated Test Pipes
Averying is offline   Reply With Quote