View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 01:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Red Voodoo
Base Member

Drives: a hard bargain!
Red Voodoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2string1 View Post
I'm only asking for a good riding tire for my Z. I love my car and the compliments I get. I'm not looking to trade it for something different. I enjoy the ease of the AT and use the paddle shifters when I'm feeling frisky. I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on her right now. I am considering putting on BC coilovers and adjusting them on the softer side in hopes to make the ride a little less harsh.
You and I are in the same boat when it comes to our Z's. Our priorities are a little different than some others here. In my opinion, your choice to go with the coilovers will be the best "bang-for-your-buck" option that will allow you the most flexibility for ride height and comfort. I recently scored a great deal on Koni adjustable dampers to go with my Swift springs (which I am overall impressed with), so I went that route instead of starting over with a coilover set-up. Getting your suspension dialed in with as many adjustable suspension parts that you can afford will only aid in finding that sweet spot between driveability and comfort.

The tires that you choose play a huge part in that equation. I'm having to purchase new shoes for my Z since the Bridgestones are several years old now. I initially considered going with an all-season tire since I'm moving to an area back East that experiences light snow in the winter. I will probably instead go with an affordable UHP summer tire like the Firehawk Indy 500. Based on my own research, it seems to be a good all-around tire, even in cold weather. They likely don't do well even with a smidgen of ice and snow on the pavement, but I now have an incentive to buy something AWD before next winter.

That's my $.02 worth, since I had failed to provide anything of value to this discussion beforehand.