View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
SonicVQ
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
SonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Many many people have cracked the pan messing with the sensor or installing a different one. Let along hanging a large bulky one in that port like shown in the original post here, I feel like a good pothole will make that thing break the bung off the pan
Understood... I read about others having that same issue and not just on this engine.
Pegasus Auto Racing has an excellent article on NPT fitting and how much to tighten the tapered NPT fittings: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/do...ocID=TECH00097

In a nutshell, they recommend any 1/8" NPT fitting only needs 1.5 - 3 turn from finger tight.
When I put in my pressure sensor, I used a thread sealer and did 1.5 turns and started the engine to check for leaks. I had a small drip, so I tightened an addition 1/2 turn, and all is good to this day.

In the spring I am going to put on a sandwich plate with a pressure sensor.
This will place the pressure sensor BEFORE the oil filter, and the factory located pressure sensor will measure the pressure AFTER the oil filter.

Then I will be able to test the pressure drop for different oil filters, by engine RPM and oil temperature.
I am really curious to see how much pressure drop difference there is between oil filters.
SonicVQ is offline   Reply With Quote