View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicVQ View Post
There is a third option:
Remove the low oil pressure switch (it turns on the light at < 5 psi!!)
and install the gauge.

As I see it, since you have a pressure gauge, you can detect low oil pressure before the light turns on... for example < 14 psi.

The oil pressure switch is not used by the ECM.

The oil pressure switch is wired directly to the IPDM/ER and when it sees low oil pressure, the contacts close and that ground the signal. Then the UPDM/ER sends a CAN bus message to the cluster to turn on the red low oil pressure light.

If the switch is unplugged, it never get grounded and the low oil pressure light will never turn on.
BUT you have the gauge, so nothing to worry about!

I did this on my G37 just over a year ago when I installed my oil pressure gauge.
I have expressed the same opinion for many years... the stock idiot light has no real purpose once there is a gauge in the car, especially a gauge with warning light and/or sound. Lots of people seem to be opposed to the idea of ditching that light. Of course a small part of me would slightly prefer it still work, but I have a much stronger preference to less clutter and crap in the engine bay if I can avoid it.

But here is the best reason to just put the pressure sensor on an oil sandwich plate: The cast upper pan is *extremely* thin and weak at the oil pressure port. Many many people have cracked the pan messing with the sensor or installing a different one. Let along hanging a large bulky one in that port like shown in the original post here, I feel like a good pothole will make that thing break the bung off the pan . So at this point, having cracked my own upper oil pan pressure bung, and knowing so many others that have, I am hesitant to screw with the stock sensor port at all now. Replacing that upper pan is a serious job that you do not want to have to do if the engine is in the car.