View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #7554 (permalink)
Hotrodz
Premium Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370z Nismo
Hotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
The challenge is identifying what precisely they know. Sometimes it something as simple as how to use a tool or how to get things to work with what's on hand. Tribal knowledge is hard to put down on paper, most of what I know didn't come from a book. It came from doing things the hard way, breaking what I was trying to work on and figuring out the right way to fix it. You can be told and shown how to do something, but until you do it, and fail doing it, it doesn't stick.

I suppose the best way is to have each SME have a shadow that can learn from them, but that is an expense that most companies won't do. Most SMEs have knowledge that the company isn't paying for, the company pays for what they know to do their job and that's it. It's unfortunate.
Institutional knowledge is another name for it. With the mature generation and much of the boomer generation knowledge = power = value therefore the old timers were not or are willing to share information. They believe in many instances that if they share their knowledge they may become expendable because someone might do their job better. If they like you or you have past their test of trust they will share things. I instituted cross training and many of the old timers hated it. I tried to explain to them that the u become more valued and valuable when they do share their information and their contributions will carry on long after they retire.

The X generation figured it out and it was expanded with the Y generation or millennial. They are all about collaboration and cooperation. It is how the likes of Apple, Google and much of the dot com companies grew so fast. They get the sum of the whole is greater than that of the few.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Fast Intentions TT Installed and Tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ 610whp 560tq:|Fast Intentions 3" TT-TDX|SpecialtyZ/Fast Intentions 72 Row Oil Cooler|SZ 6 Puck Clutch & Flywheel|3GsCustoms|Z1|Wavetrac|Hotchkis|Whiteline |Blitz|Fortune Auto 500|Fujimura|SPL|H&R|TK|TWM|RPM Rollbar|Sparco|Next Level Performance|TrackSpec|AeroFlow Dynamics|Pioneer|