View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
takemorepills
Base Member

Drives: Q60 3.7 AWD
takemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm89 View Post
Range is directly affected by the amount of towing that happens, just like with an ICE powerplant. Better range is a result of better battery tech, as is Towing. So my point still stands: I don't see how an electric truck is a stupid idea.
OK, I am contributing to a thread de-rail, but you seem to be blind to some serious EV truck issues, so I'll try and keep it simple:

EV Truck (based on TFL's experience towing with a Tesla X):
If claimed 300 mile EV range, will be about 75 miles with a 5K load being towed
When "supercharging" an EV, there is a capacity limit, say 80% in 20-30 min at this time
Your distance to next fill up is now 60 miles. That's 1 hour of driving before you need to wait 20-30min for another supercharge.
Oh, and BTW superchargers must not be shared or else charging times increase
If you are off-roading and discharge your battery, good luck.
Most all charging stations don't fit a vehicle with a trailer attached
GVWR is a design challenge because a truck with long range and decent towing capacity will need a ton of batteries, which limits the payload and tongue weight.

My gas powered Titan:
Gets about 13mpg when towing 5K pounds. 6 mpg at 9K. So, between 170-300 miles of range. Let's say 300 miles at 5K, same as my EV example.
To refuel takes 5 minutes.
I can drive 4-5 hours at a time.
If I run out of fuel off-roading, a 30 pound 5gal can of gas will save me.

An ideal diesel 3/4 ton:
Gets great mpgs when towing, at least 50% better than my gas truck, and they usually have a 36 gallon tank. So, what, 500 miles of range+? And, diesel fuel economy changes very little due to load or hills, unlike the EV which is SEVERELY impacted by wind, load, hills.
To refuel takes 5 mines.
Can drive long enough to need a restroom break between fuel stops.
If you run out of fuel off-roading, a 30 pound 5gal fuel can of diesel will save you.

We tow all the time with my truck. Commonly a 300 mile round-trip.
I have done it on one tank of gas if I can restrain myself to 65mph.
That EV truck example would need at least 4 recharging stops, if not 5, adding at least 2 hours of down time, likely more.

I suppose you'll still want to argue these FACTS and real world realities of EV's, but I'll leave this at that, it is after all the new Z thread!

Last edited by takemorepills; 01-15-2021 at 09:59 PM.
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote