View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
datcipher
Base Member

Drives: altimacoupe 3.5,370z
datcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber370 View Post
Your car is quiet because the stock Nissan exhaust for our cars is a joke. It is by far, the biggest let down with the 370Z. It is even quieter on the Nismo model. My '17 Maxima has a louder stock exhaust. Nissan completely dropped the ball on the stock exhaust sound.

Having said that, you need to avoid the "short tail" type axle back exhausts. They are horrible in my opinion and you usually end up with unacceptable amounts of drone, buzzing and resonance inside the cabin. If you want a slightly louder and better sounding exhaust without significant drone, you need to go with a complete axle back that is properly designed to include proper x or h-pipe, mid pipe resonators and true mufflers after the axle. You can also read reviews regarding drone to ensure you pick the right one.

Please be careful choosing because what is quiet for one person can be unbearable for another. Choose wisely and remember, drone does not normally show up on Youtube exhaust reviews.
I am amazed, I don't even see how the "stock exhaust" videos from the interior apply - mine seems much much quieter than even that. I don't think I could pick up any exhaust noise on a video from the interior. That's why I wondered if Nissan really did improve the sound proofing a bit.

I think I have watched just about every video and read every post I could find on drone. etc.

I will say that the resonant short tails really were not bad. I wouldn't have chosen them, but they did sound good, in fact, I got a couple strangers walking up and asking me what was on there.....the first was a few days after i bought the car, and I PUTTED into a convenience store parking lot with no real throttle. A Q60 coupe owner came up and asked. In fact, for the guys who really like LOUD - it probably isn't enough. For anyone else, IF they don't get that one buzz I did, it would probably be satisfying. I think they probably sound much more refined that the short tails with no resonator.

For sure, next year I may look back into it, but I'll see how budget goes. I had thought nismo exhaust might be right for me, but that's before I realized this is basically totally silent! I thought from all I read Nismo was very slightly louder - now you say it's QUIETER (!?)

I might think about cheap ebay (which the guy I bought the muffler from raved about - he's a car guy, but he thinks it's fine, and doesn't buy into the: it's cheap and not well made narrative), otherwise, sounds to me like Gemini, or HKS hi-power, etc may be the most quiet options. I read that s-line muffler was just a bit louder than stock.....but....in some videos it doesn't sound too great to me without the s-line pipes as well.

Of course the problem is you can't really pick up drone well in video - as you say, and even moreso, I can't really tell volume well from video. I think trying to pick out how loud it is compared to engine noise, is about the only indicator I get as to how loud it really is.
datcipher is offline   Reply With Quote