View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
datcipher
Base Member

Drives: altimacoupe 3.5,370z
datcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond reputedatcipher has a reputation beyond repute
Default stock exhaust - it's unbelievably quiet! Why?

So I bought a 2019 with resonant short tails on. Sounded absolutely great....but I'm generally a quiet car guy, and it was a bit loud with warm exhaust and heavy throttle - sounded wonderful at idling, puttering about, or even at highway speeds as long as not going up a hill.

The biggest problem was that there was an annoying buzz at 2900-3400 rpm coming from somewhere - maybe inside exhaust or inside cabin. (sounded like the crossbar was buzzing)

So I drove 7 hours to pick up a barely used muffler from a 2017 owner, and after cops, a son being being taken away on request of the parents, a guy running away with black market cigarettes, long talk with fellow Z owner, I got home at 2:30 am. Road trips are funny things. Today it was put on.

I can't BELIEVE it. I thought these were supposed to be louder cars anyways (compared to regular cars), and the videos I watched had definite cabin noise, and even a bit of gurgle and pop. I HEAR NOTHING. NOTHING! LOL. Almost entirely road noise, no exhaust purr whatsoever, unless I hammer it, and get above 4000rpm.....then I hear mostly the engine droning. On the one hand I'm impressed on the other hand I expected SOMETHING. My stock 3.5 Altima Coupe has more exhaust noise when opened up.

I've read single posts from a few people saying Nissan improved the sound proofing (though rocks still sound like they're inside the cabin!) after 2015. Is this true? Is this why mine is so quiet?
datcipher is offline   Reply With Quote