View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hotrodz
Premium Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370z Nismo
Hotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
700whp is debatably within the realm of stock engine reliability, depending on how much you actually use it at that power and what you used it for. In the typical Z project setup, 700whp usually cannot be put to the pavement. So even after making that on the dyno, you wont generally replicate that type of load unless doing 4th gear + pulls.

IMHO, I would skip the engine build. Too much trouble and expense, too much room for error. I would take all the money I save and just do an all-premium stock engine setup. Maybe grab a backup low miles stock engine to keep in the corner of the garage, ready and waiting for a weekend swap should the original engine ever fail. Set it up to run 600whp daily (which will already roast the tires 99% of the time you try it below 60mph), and have a 675-700whp high power mode for occasional use when it counts.

When your goal is balancing on the tipping point like that, in my opinion, it makes a lot more sense to just dial it back a tiny bit and spare yourself a TON of money and drama over the built engine lifestyle.
I have another in waiting and I will not be building it like I have done with my current motor if it goes bang. I don't plan on running my built motor more than 600 90% of the time. I can tell you from my experience that 550 is pretty damn fast on a circuit track. I only used that power a couple of times because that was to much for my talent level at the time. Hence on the road I dialed it back as well after figuring out that I was as good a driver as I thought I was.
Fast Intentions TT Installed and Tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ 610whp 560tq:|Fast Intentions 3" TT-TDX|SpecialtyZ/Fast Intentions 72 Row Oil Cooler|SZ 6 Puck Clutch & Flywheel|3GsCustoms|Z1|Wavetrac|Hotchkis|Whiteline |Blitz|Fortune Auto 500|Fujimura|SPL|H&R|TK|TWM|RPM Rollbar|Sparco|Next Level Performance|TrackSpec|AeroFlow Dynamics|Pioneer|
Hotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote