View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #6005 (permalink)
FPenvy
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R BE/09 370Z
FPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond reputeFPenvy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
Counterpoint to the VR belt issue...

It does not blow the engine. The belt coming off can, rarely, cut the engine wire harness...which is a big deal. Most common issue is that the belt comes off and destroys the coolant reservoir, causing a quick leak-out of coolant and a mess.

It is caused by the AC compressor alignment being out of whack.

However, for me the other "option" to get as much power is to boost my VQ37, which by no means is any more reliable or guaranteed than a VR-equipped car. Take the cost of a relatively new 370Z and add in the cost of boosting it, the tuning, any headaches that do occur, and you now have a car nearly as expensive as what a brand-new VR 300Z will be.
In the case on my AWD VQ coupe, my only real option is to install a SC, and to date I have yet to see a SC'ed VQ37 with a properly fitted air filter, many people just run a turbo guard. I'd rather take my chances with a belt blow-out than running my daily SC'ed car without proper air filtration.

And the VQ ain't no saint either, there was several years it was built using a oil galley gasket that can cause big issues that are expensive to fix.

Fortunately Nissan has had 5+ years to deal with this issue on the VR. Seeing as how the VR is likely the only significant change to the FM chassis, I highly doubt the new Z will have recalls that look like a "joke" compared to the BMW Supra.

What worries me more than the VR motor is whether or not the dash melts like happens in the current Z and previous G. After reading up on the VR belt issue, I'm confident it has either been resolved or I personally can maintain the belt in a manner that prevents the issue. Most people heard belt squealing for a while before belt failure, and it is easy to check if belt failure is imminent.
well said.

however, my counterpoint to you statement is even though nissan has had 5 years with this engine and it's issues, doesnt mean they will fix it.

look at the CSC issues on the Z that they've had 11 years to deal with lol

324whp/258wtq AAM Tuned |F.I. NonRes CF CBE/NonRes TestPipes #373|UpRev Tuner|Akuma Motorsports Intakes|Z1 34 Row Oil Cooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I. Inc. View Post
Yes, they are Tony approved! Frank, when I get around to it, I may put your pipes into production. We will call them, "The FP" option.
-Tony
FPenvy is offline   Reply With Quote