View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
viiv
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 20 Nissan 370Z PR M6
viiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Test drove a 2020 Q60, I prefer the sound of the VQ37

So yesterday, my wife and I test drove a 2020 Passion Red Infiniti Q60. I did this because I wanted a sneak preview of the new Z's engine, as it's already available today in the current Infiniti lineup. What better way to do it than in a two-door Infiniti finished in the same colour as my 2020 Z.

I don't want to get into things like handling here, because the Q60 will not be the Z. I just want to talk about straight line engine performance as that is what most directly qualifies as being a sneak preview to the new Z.

Is it faster, yes. Is it aurally more enjoyable to drive. NO.

Yes you can chalk some of it up to the Q60s automatic transmission versus the excellent 6-speed in my current car.

But man, the whirring sounds of the VQ37 are what make it the best sounding and most enjoyable V6 on the planet. Sadly, the twin-turbo 3.0 lacks all of that character and makes me really wish Nissan would continue offering the current VQ37 in the new Z as a lower priced base trim level to keep the base entry level price down. I would take a VQ37 trim level, not because it's cheaper, but because of the aural experience. The only way to beat the sensory experience of the VQ is with a V8 or higher.

Numbers on an Excel spreadsheet is not what gives us enjoyment; rather its how a car arouses our senses. Automatic is faster than manual. The 3.0TT is faster than the VQ37. But I'd take the slightly slower, more sensual option any day of the week.

Last edited by viiv; 10-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.
viiv is offline   Reply With Quote