View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #504 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyZ View Post
To add a comment to the aluminum welding. The running out of argon will definitly make a difference, but It looks like you are also doing a horrible job on cleaning the part. There's the stock stickers still on some of the pieces and adhesive under one of the welds. You need to actually clean it, with a wirebrush or abrasive that has not been used on stainless or mild steel. Then you need to scrub it with acetone or some type of aluminum degreaser.

It also looks like you are using too large of a filler wire maybe. Thats the only thing I can come up with for those globs. For aluminum the filler should basically be melted and jump to the puddle, if you are having to plunge it into the puddle you have too large of a filler.
The bar stock with the square stock wasn't cleaned, it was fresh metal from the store. I found out later it should be cleaned with acetone no matter what. As for the globs, I 100% used a SH1T load of filler. I talked with my buddy on getting that reduced and how to work the pedal properly while doing the weld.

My need of getting it done way out paced my skill set there. I'm ok with the glob welds considering where the bar is located. I think I'm going to cut the flat stock off and re do the section from the front of the radiator to the angle stock.

Honestly, It's all learning to me and there have certainly been lessons learned. I'll get there, it just will be a bit painful off the get. The good news is that the aluminum stock used there wasn't terrible expensive.

Thanks for the feed back man! Good to see a new name on the thread.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote