Thread: Post your pets!
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #828 (permalink)
Hotrodz
Premium Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370z Nismo
Hotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond reputeHotrodz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL 4Motion View Post
I agree, but not everyone that could use a service dog can get one, there are shortages of trained dogs a lot of times, but they can get and train an emotional support dog which can can provide a lot of the same support/service. Heck, a lot of times, the calming, steady emotional support IS the service.

With physical issues like stroke, paralysis etc, the service dog is opening doors, turning on lights etc, with psychiatric issues, it really is emotional support, as well as alerting on the stress etc. the training requirements or certification isn’t going to be at the same level, most household dogs with good obedience and socializing training could probably to it.

The VA treats ptsd service dogs as second class service dogs and does not provide the same level of support to them (Ex. vet coverage) compared to physical service dogs. I suppose this issue triggers me bc when I hear “all dogs provide emotional support” or something to that effect, it goes in the same line as when someone treats combat related brain damage and psychiatric injuries as somehow not the same as physical wounds.
The issue is not that you can't get a service dog for some of the things you speak of the problem is the lack of trained and certified dogs. All the programs which provide such dogs survive on donations and it takes a long time to train a dog effectively and then not all dogs are capable of being trained.

I get what you are saying including knowing a little about training dogs as I trained upland bird dogs with a professional dog trainer for years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Fast Intentions TT Installed and Tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ 610whp 560tq:|Fast Intentions 3" TT-TDX|SpecialtyZ/Fast Intentions 72 Row Oil Cooler|SZ 6 Puck Clutch & Flywheel|3GsCustoms|Z1|Wavetrac|Hotchkis|Whiteline |Blitz|Fortune Auto 500|Fujimura|SPL|H&R|TK|TWM|RPM Rollbar|Sparco|Next Level Performance|TrackSpec|AeroFlow Dynamics|Pioneer|
Hotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote