View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #91 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENT-Z View Post
So if I am understanding what you are saying Denny, then perhaps these add on intakes are only helping because they are tricking the ECU into running leaning A/F mixture? So...perhaps a good dyno tune to adjust the A/F would be just as beneficial, maybe even moreso, than a CAI? Do you think a CAI + tune to adjust A/F would be even more beneficial?
I think that's the line of thought Denny is headed down, yes. If the stock intake is already cold air (sounds like it is - honestly I haven't looked to see if the stock boxes are really sealed off from the engine bay and sucking only air from the front ports (the ones that you would enlarge for running the Stillen Gen3 pipes)), and it flows sufficient CFM already to match bolt-on exhaust mods and a little ECU tuning, then intake mods aren't really going to help if you're going to tune the A/F mix in the ECU anyways.

Now, that being said, colder air is always a win, and perhaps the location of the Stillen G3 inlets (filters really) gets access to colder air than the stocks ports hidden back there on the sides of the radiator, especially on a real highway. There are some variables in play there with highway-speed wind coming in the throat of the car, air pressure under the car and near the front intake, and turbulence to deal with, etc.

However, given the impressive dyno results, I lean towards the idea that at least some of those gains on the dyno must be coming from leaning out the A/F mix like Denny's talking about. Hopefully soon we'll get some numbers to sort this out.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote